FLATTR Button

2009-08-17

Autobiograffiti

Greetings,
Here's the fourth song update. Audio-only, since it has multiple tracks.
I wrote this one a really long time ago. It has evolved some over the years--I just wish I could put the flute track on it like when I played it with my flautist friend Amanda. Whistling will have to do for now...
I recommend headphones for optimum enjoyment.




Autobiograffiti

i shave away the old days and put on a new face
i install new eyes to see our old place
are there no more surprises with all these reprises
take me off-guard, take me en-garde

oh bury me, bury me in the churchyard that I don't believe in
oh bury me, bury me in the classroom that I learned to perceive in
oh bury me, bury me in Yellowstone beneath Old Faithful
oh don't bury me, freeze my body as something Beautiful

autobiograffiti
you make it seem so easy
your words can say anything
autobiograffiti

there's not a New World left on this Earth
we'll have to go there and make new kinds of air
will we have grown up drinking whisky from our sippy cups
I hope I'm buried there within the newest air

oh bury me, bury me in the garden, so I might grow into a Tree
oh bury me, bury me in England, where I have never been
oh bury me, at the peak of Mount Everest, so close to Heaven
oh don't bury me, fly me out on a kite into a strong east wind

autobiograffiti

oh bury me, bury me in Andersonville among my Forefathers
oh bury me, cast me out to sea and watch me sink into the murky waters
oh bury me, bury me to free me of this Worldly worry
oh don't bury me, bring me back to life with new Technology
oh don't bury me, because I want to see the Future that awaits me
oh don't bury me, because I want to breathe
oh don't bury me, because I want to be

oh bury me, bury me with all the books that I've read
and the blood that I've bled
and the tears that I've shed
and lives that I’ve lead
and the wives I’ve wed
and the lies that I spread
and the fear that I’ve fled
and the bombs that spread death
and the skeletons trapped in my head

and the fear that I’ve fled
and the fear that I’ve fled
when I’m out of breath
bury me.



<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->

Lyric notes: Andersonville, Georgia is really where some of my ancestors are buried. It was the site of a Civil War military prison.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andersonville_National_Historic_Site
For this song, I focused a lot on contrasting images. Life and Death, Future and Past, Nature and Technology, conflicting desires, etc. Autobiograffiti means what you think it does. ;-]
Creative Commons License
Autobiograffiti is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at emeraldelkmusic.blogspot.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://emeraldelkmusic.blogspot.com/.
<!--[endif]-->

3 comments:

  1. The sound bite won't come up for me to listen to how you put together all of those words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nvm, it finally came up - it's so... beautiful. Peaceful. You have a real talent of making refrains that are going to get stuck in my head at some point in the day.
    I obviously don't know what this sounds like with a flute - but I really like the whistling with the harmonica - it gives it that peaceful outdoors imagery like being on a back porch and looking out to the forest or something. Inspiring to say the least.
    -Ok, really really like the native american-sounding lilting harmony on the second to last verse - it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another beautiful song, Ryan. Hope Hanguk is treating you well.

    ReplyDelete